Summary of Jr-Tai Chen's activities
My work mainly focuses on metal-organic chemical vapor deposition (MOCVD) growth of advanced GaN-based high electron mobility transistor (HEMT) structures on SiC and GaN substrates, followed by a variety of characterization methods listed below to understand and optimize the material properties.
- Structural properties: Optical Microscopy, Atomic Force Microscopy, Optical Thickness Mapping, X-Ray Diffraction.
- Electrical properties: Capacitance-Voltage measurement, Contact-less Sheet Resistance Measurement, Contact-less Hall Mobility Measurement.
- Thermal properties: Transient Thermal Reflectance, and Micro-Raman Spectroscopy (Collaboration with Bristol University, UK)
- Impurity incorporations: Secondary Ion Mass Spectroscopy (done in EAG Lab)
- Device processing: Collaboration with Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, and United Monolithic Semiconductors, Germany.
Recent research topics related to HEMT structures:
- Reduction of thermal boundary resistance of the GaN/SiC interface
- Optimization of carbon incorporation and its profile in the buffer layer (GaN) to reduce the trapping effect and increase the buffer resistance
- Development of epitaxial growth of normally-off with a p-GaN cap layer
- Growth on true bulk GaN substrate
Selected publications & conference contributions
- Impact of residual carbon on two-dimensional electron gas properties in AlGaN/GaN heterostructure
J. T. Chen, U. Forsberg, and E. Janzén
Applied Physics Letters 102, 193506 (2013)
- Temperature dependent effective mass in AlGaN/GaN high electron mobility transistor structures
T. Hofmann, P. Kühne, S. Schöche, J. T. Chen, U. Forsberg, E. Janzén, N. B. Sedrine, C. M Herzinger, J. A Woollam, M. Schubert and V. Darakchieva
Applied Physics Letters 101, 192102 (2012)
- Hot-Wall MOCVD grown high-quality GaN HEMT structure: Bottom-to-top optimization
Poster presentation at the 10th International Conference on Nitrides Semiconductors (2013)
- Growth temperature effect on two-dimentional electron gas properties in AlGaN/GaN heterostructure
Poster presentation at the 4th International Symposium on Growth of III Nitrides (2012)
- High quality of AlGaN/GaN HEMTs structure grown on European-source 6H- SiC substrates
Talk at the 5th ITP International Symposium (2012)
- High Mobility InAlN-barrier HEMTs grown by hot-wall MOCVD
Poster presentation at the 3th International Symposium on Growth of III Nitrides (2011)
- TFFM08 Experimental physics (6 ECTS), lab assistant responsible for XRD and Holography
Responsible for this page: Fredrik Karlsson
Last updated: 02/11/14