My main research interest is studying how environmental exposures of a variety of sources (nutrition, contaminants, stress) interfere with developmental and epigenetic mechanisms and can consequently be involved in the origin of phenotypic and genotypic variation. I am particularly interested in addressing how this process can be relevant from an evolutionary perspective.
In the past I have studied reproductive and epigenetic effects of maternal consumption of phytoestrogens on the immediate offspring in mice. Recently, I have been studying transgenerational germ line epigenetic effects produced after gestational exposures to a variety of environmental toxicants in rats. Currently I am studying epigenetic consequences of early stress in chickens.
I also study theoretical aspects that relate to the role of epigenetics and development in evolutionary biology.
49. Jacobs M, Marczylo E, Guerrero-Bosagna C, Rüegg J. 2017. Marked for life: epigenetic effects of endocrine disrupting chemicals. Annual. Rev. Environ. Resour. In press.
48. Pértille F, Brantsæter M, Nordgreen J, Coutinho LL, Janczak AM, Jensen P, Guerrero-Bosagna C. 2017. DNA methylation profiles in red blood cells of adult hens correlate to their previous rearing conditions. Journal of Experimental Biology, 220:3579-3587.
47. Guerrero-Bosagna C. 2017. Evolution with no Reason: a Neutral View on Epigenetic Changes, Genomic Variability and Evolutionary Novelty. Bioscience, 67(5):469-476.
46. Alonso-Magdalena P, Rivera FJ, Guerrero-Bosagna C. 2016. Bisphenol-A and metabolic diseases: epigenetic, developmental and transgenerational basis. Environmental Epigenetics, 2016, 2(3):1–10.
45. Vargas AO, Krabichler Q, Guerrero-Bosagna C. 2016. An Epigenetic Perspective on the Midwife Toad Experiments of Paul Kammerer (1880-1926). J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. Vol. 328: 179-192.
44. Pértille F, Guerrero-Bosagna C, Silva VH, Boschiero C, Nunes Jde R, Ledur MC, Jensen P, Coutinho LL. 2016. High-throughput and Cost-effective Chicken Genotyping Using Next-Generation Sequencing. Scientific Reports , 6:26929.
43. Guerrero-Bosagna C. 2016. High Type II Error and Interpretation Inconsistencies when Attempting to Refute Transgenerational Epigenetic Inheritance. Genome Biology, 12;17(1):153.
42. Lind L, Lind M, Lejonklou MH, Dunder L, Bergman Å, Guerrero-Bosagna C, Lampa E, Lee HK, Legler J, Nadal A, Pak YK, Phipps R, Vandenberg L, Zalko D, Ågerstrand M, Öberg M, Blumberg B, Heindel J and Birnbaum L. 2016. Uppsala Consensus Statement on Environmental Contaminants and the global obesity epidemic. Environ. Health and Persp., 124(5):A81-3.
41. Els Willems E, Guerrero-Bosagna C, Decuypere E, Janssens S, Buyse J, Buys N, Jensen P and Everaert N. Differential expression of genes and DNA methylation associated with prenatal protein undernutrition by albumen removal in an avian model. Scientific Reports 6, 20837.
40. Guerrero-Bosagna C and Jensen P. 2015. Optimized Method for Methylated DNA Immuno-precipitation. Methods X 2, e432–e439.
39. Guerrero-Bosagna C. 2015. Developmental and Epigenetic Origins of Male Reproductive Pathologies. Book chapter in: The Epigenome and Developmental Origins of Health and Disease, Edited by Dr. Cheryl Rosenfeld. Elsevier Publishing Group. In press.
38. Guerrero-Bosagna C. 2015. Transgenerational Epigenetic Inheritance: Past Exposures, Future Diseases. Book chapter in: The Epigenome and Developmental Origins of Health and Disease, Edited by Dr. Cheryl Rosenfeld. Elsevier Publishing Group. In press.
37. Skinner MK, Guerrero-Bosagna C and Haque MM. 2015. Environmentally Induced Epigenetic Transgenerational Inheritance of Sperm Epimutations Promote Genetic Mutations. Epigenetics 10:8, 762-771.
36. Guerrero-Bosagna C and Jensen P. 2015. Globalization, climate change, and transgenerational epigenetic inheritance: will our descendants be at risk? Clin Epigenetics. Jan 22;7(1):8.
35. Skinner MK and Guerrero-Bosagna C. 2014. Role of CpG deserts in the epigenetic transgenerational inheritance of differential DNA methylation regions. BMC Genomics. 15(1):692.
34. Guerrero-Bosagna C and Skinner MK. 2014. Environmentally Induced Epigenetic Transgenerational Inheritance of Male Infertility. Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 4(26C):79-88.
33. Skinner MK, Guerrero-Bosagna C, Haque MM, Nilsson EE, Koop JA, Knutie SA and Clayton DH. 2014. Epigenetics and the Evolution of Darwin's Finches. Genome Biol Evol. 6(8):1972-89.
32. Manikkam M, Haque MM, Guerrero-Bosagna C, Nilsson EE and Skinner MK. Pesticide methoxychlor promotes the epigenetic transgenerational inheritance of adult-onset disease through the female germline. 2014. PLoS One. 9(7):e102091.
31. Guerrero-Bosagna C, Weeks S and Skinner MK. 2014. Identification of Genomic Features in Environmentally Induced Epigenetic Transgenerational Inherited Sperm Epimutations. PLoS One. 9(6):e100194.
30. Guerrero-Bosagna C and Skinner MK. 2014. Environmental Epigenetics and Phytoestrogen/Phytochemical Exposures. J. Steroid Biochem. Mol. Biol. 139 (2014) 270–276.
29. Guerrero-Bosagna C. 2013. DNA methylation Research Methods. http://www.labome.com/method/DNA-Methylation-Research-Methods.html.
28. Skinner MK, Manikkam M, Tracey R, Nilsson E, Haque M and Guerrero-Bosagna C. 2013. Ancestral DDT Exposures Promote Epigenetic Transgenerational Inheritance of Obesity and Disease. BMC Medicine 11:228.
27. Skinner MK, Guerrero-Bosagna C, Haque MM, Nilsson E and McCarrey J. Environmentally Induced Transgenerational Epigenetic Reprogramming of Primordial Germ Cells and the Subsequent Germ Line. PLoS One 8(7): e66318.
26. Guerrero-Bosagna C and Skinner MK. 2013. Environmental Epigenetics and Effects on Male Fertility. Chapter part of the E-book ‘Damage in the genetic material of human spermatozoa: relation to Fertility’ edited by Springer
25. Guerrero-Bosagna C, Savenkova, Haque M, Nilsson E and Skinner MK. 2013. Environmentally Induced Epigenetic Transgenerational Inheritance of Altered Sertoli Cell Transcriptome and Epigenome: Molecular Etiology of Male Infertility. PLoS One 8(3): e59922.
24. Tracey R, Manikkam M, Guerrero-Bosagna C and Skinner MK. 2013. Hydrocarbons (Jet Fuel JP-8) Induce Epigenetic Transgenerational Inheritance of Obesity, Reproductive Disease and Sperm Epimutations. Reproductive Toxicology, 36: 104-116.
23. Manikkam M, Tracey R, Guerrero-Bosagna C and Skinner MK. 2013. Plastics Derived Endocrine Disruptors (BPA, DEHP and DBP) Induce Epigenetic Transgenerational Inheritance of Obesity, Disease and Sperm Epimutations. PLoS One 8(1): e55387.
22. Guerrero-Bosagna C, Covert T, Haque MM, Settles M, Nilsson E, Anway M and Skinner MK. 2012. Epigenetic Biomarkers Associated with the Transgenerational Actions of the Endocrine Disruptor Vinclozolin on Mouse Adult Onset Disease. Reproductive Toxicology, 34(4): 694-707 .
21. Manikkam M, Tracey R, Guerrero-Bosagna C and Skinner MK. 2012. Dioxin (TCDD) Induces Epigenetic Transgenerational Inheritance of Adult Onset Disease and Sperm Epimutations. PLoS One, 7(9): e46249.
20. Manikkam M, Tracey R, Guerrero-Bosagna C and Skinner MK. 2012. Pesticide and Insect Repellent Mixture (Permethrin and DEET) Induces Epigenetic Transgenerational Inheritance of Disease and Sperm Epimutations. Reproductive Toxicology, 34(4): 708-19.
19. Nilsson E, Larsen G, Manikkam M, Guerrero-Bosagna C, Savenkova M and Skinner MK. 2012. Environmental Toxicants Induce Epigenetic Transgenerational Inheritance of Ovarian Disease. PLoS One, 7(5): e36129.
18. Guerrero-Bosagna C. 2012. Finalism in Lamarckian and Darwinian Evolution: Lessons from Epigenetics and Developmental Biology. Evolutionary Biology, 39(3): 283-300.
17. Manikkam M, Guerrero-Bosagna C, Tracey, R, Haque MM and Skinner MK. 2012. Transgenerational Actions of Environmental Compounds on Disease: Epigenetic Biomarkers of Ancestral Exposures. PLoS One, 7(2) e31901.
16. Guerrero-Bosagna C and Skinner MK. 2012. Environmental Epigenetic Transgenerational Inheritance of Phenotype and Disease. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, 354(1-2): 3-8.
15. Guerrero-Bosagna C and Clark SJ. 2011. We are what we eat: how nutrition shapes our epigenome. Chapter 15. In: Nutrition in Epigenetics. Edited by Dr. Mihai Niculescu and Dr. Paul Haggarty. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Group.
14. Skinner MK, Manikkam M and Guerrero-Bosagna C. 2011. Epigenetic transgenerational actions of endocrine disruptors. Reproductive Toxicology, 31(3): 337-43.
13. Guerrero-Bosagna C and Skinner MK. 2010. Transgenerational epigenetic actions of environmental compounds . Animal Reproduction, 7(3): 165-167.
12. Guerrero-Bosagna C, Settles M, Lucker B and Skinner MK. 2010. Epigenetic transgenerational actions of vinclozolin on promoter regions of the sperm epigenome . PLoS One, 5(9).
11. Skinner M, Manikkam M and Guerrero-Bosagna C. 2010. Epigenetic transgenerational actions of environmental factors in disease. Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism, 21(4): 214-22.
10. Skinner MK and Guerrero-Bosagna C. 2009. Environmental signals and transgenerational epigenetics. Epigenomics, 1(1): 111-117. [OA]
9. Guerrero-Bosagna C. and Skinner MK. 2009. Epigenetic transgenerational effects of endocrine disruptors on male reproduction. Seminars in Reproductive Medicine, 27(5): 403-408.
8. Guerrero-Bosagna C, Sabat P, Valdovinos F, Valladares L and Clark SJ. 2008. Epigenetic and phenotypic changes result from a continuous pre and post natal dietary exposure to phytoestrogens in an experimental population of mice. BMC Physiology, 8:17.
7. Hirsch S, Ronco AM, Guerrero-Bosagna C, de la Maza MP, Leiva L, Barrera G, Llanos M, Alliende MA, Silva F, Bunout D. 2008. Methylation status in healthy subjects with normal and high serum folate concentration. Nutrition, 11-12: 1103-9.
6. Guerrero-Bosagna C and Valladares L. 2007. Endocrine disruptors, epigenetically induced changes, and transgenerational transmission of characters and epigenetic states. In: Endocrine-disrupting Chemicals: From Basic Research to Clinical Practice. Edited by Andrea C. Gore. Part of “Contemporary Endocrinology” series, editor P. Michael Conn, Humana Press, Totowa, NJ.
5. Guerrero-Bosagna C, Sabat P and Valladares L. 2005. Environmental signaling and evolutionary change: can exposure of pregnant mammals to environmental estrogens lead to epigenetically-induced evolutionary changes in embryos? Evolution & Development, 7(4): 341-350.
4. Ronco AM, Garrido A, Llanos M, Guerrero-Bosagna C, Tamayo D and Hirsch S. 2005. Effect of homocysteine, folates, and cobalamin on endothelial cell- and copper-induced LDL oxidation. Lipids, 40(3): 259-64.
3. Ahumada P, Astorga G, Bull-Herenu K, Cabrera R, Caputo L, Carmona C, Cecchi MC, Cortes N, Cortez S, Dorador C, Fredes F, Guerrero-Bosagna C, Henny P et al. 2005. Undergraduate teaching of evolution in Chile: more than natural selection . Revista Chilena de Historia Natural, 78: 169-170.
2. Guerrero-Bosagna C, Borg L and Nygren C. 2002. Pattern of activity, mechanisms of thermorregulation and abdominal lifting in Camponotus morosus (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) . In: Historia natural de la Reserva Nacional Río Clarillo: un espacio para aprender ecología (Natural History of the National Reserve of Clarillo River: a space to learn Ecology). Niemeyer, H. M., Bustamante, R. O., Simonetti, J.A., Teillier, S., Fuentes Contreras, E. & J. E. Mella. Impresos Socias, Santiago, Chile. Pp 3, 91 – 3, 94. (http://abulafia.ciencias.uchile.cl/clarillo/clarillo.pdf).
1. Cecchi C, Guerrero-Bosagna C and Mpodozis J. 2001. Aristotle’s crime? Revista Chilena de Historia Natural, 74: 507-514.
Responsible for this page: Per Jensen
Last updated: 10/12/17